Skip to main content

Postcards from Koh Samui



I’ve been living here in Thailand for more than 5 years now and having been to these undiscovered territories of Koh Samui twice, I might have an understanding of the tourist life but I’m still an inexperienced guest of this Island. On this episode of “Journeys in Thailand” I’m reaching out and want to pitch with the true expert to bring you this (unedited) one-of-a-kind entry Postcards from Koh Samui, captured vividly through the lens of Mr. Somnuck Yuthithathum.





Thailand-born Mr. Somnuck, popular as “P’Nuck” among colleague, started his interest in photography in his late 50’s while working as a Production Manager in our company. During his humble beginning, he spent money, time and effort voluntarily taking pictures for weddings and corporate events. I have nothing but good words for this man. By the way, he was one of the official photographers during our wedding and his initiative and dedication to this voluntary work was beyond amazing. I was taken aback by the fact that he's doing great work for free. Outside photography, he is an active member of the cool Chrysler Jeep Driver Association Thailand and every weekend they drive off to distant regions of the country to donate books and feed the kids. I remember during my first years in Gemcity; every day he had to drive me to work (coz we're neighbors) and to return the favor, I tried to surprise him often with Chloe's old toys and clothes he could bring to their next mission. I know it was a simple gesture but I'm just in so much awe of this man’s generosity and willingness to reach out to the needy.







So while I was pretty occupied showing off the cool things we did and some awesome pictures we took from our recent Koh Samui trip he sent these larger than life photos to humble myself.

Koh Samui is a home for many budget stay and also some  luxury hotels and posh travel inns. If you're planning to visit this Island in the near future, P'Nuck highly recommend you stay on the East side for the great deal of adventures it could instantly offer, not to mention the hustle and the bustle of the beaches nearby. Personally, I prefer the West side of the Island as I'm more on the relaxed laid-back vibe of the tropical trees and mountains surrounding this area. But then again, if money is not a problem, you can rent a speed boat or a VIP van to take you around this small but adventure-is-everywhere Island. Just a tip from a local perspective, East side is a great starting point.





This 12 meters high Big Buddha is pretty impressive especially during sunset. This is well-known Landmark of Koh Samui and you can easily spot this even from few kilometers away. On my first trip to this Island, I was able to visit this shrine and several markets surrounding it. It was a nice trip except that the sun was blazing hot and I'm afraid to gaze fixedly at the beautiful details. He suggested you go visit Ang Thong Marine National Park on a day trip and schedule a Big Buddha trip at the end of your itinerary. You will surely get lost for genuine feels on this part of the tropical Island.




Among the beaches he highly recommends are the famous Chaweng Beach and MaeNam Beach. I've been to both beaches but I appreciate latter over the first. Chaweng is central for nightlife or what you often called the ultimate party hotspot with a lot of resto and bars around the area. Chaweng and Mae Nam are both white-sand and a lot of family resorts or budget rooms are available. Chaweng is set on the panoramic landscape with easy access from all over the Island while MaeNam is a bit secluded with a 2-3 km's walk from the main highway. But like what I've said, you have wide options of family or budget-friendly hotels in both locations.








Can you easily spot any familiar symbol or sort of resemblance on these rocks? These are the famous rock formations called the grandpa and grandma (Hin Ta & Hin Yai). If you look closely and imaginatively; you will notice the shape of the rocks, the very reasons why they were called grandma and grandpa.  Visitors would love to climb along the rocks for an aerial shot while others prefer to enjoy it from a distance. Nature is really a work of art. Haha!





This is only one among the many Buddhist shrines in Koh Samui. There are over a thousand temple all around Thailand and Koh Samui housed a few superb ones like the Big Buddha and the striking white 18-arm statue of Guanyin in Wat Plai Laem. Most of their temples are open for visitors and are free.









Hope you enjoy the few travel tips and these amazing "Postcards from Koh Samui" brought to you by my very good Thai friend, P'Nuck.

Don't forget to include this charming and sophisticated Koh Samui on your top destinations list. Thanks a lot for reading!



Comments

  1. Wow! These pictures are all wonderful. Wishing I could travel Thailand next year!! <3

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That water looks so warm and tropical!!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos!! Love this post!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful place, and I would totally love to visit someday. Thanks for sharing your lovely pics!

    xx,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to visit Thailand, but there's just so many areas to explore. Koh Samui looks amazing! The beaches are stunning (I can't get over the colour of the sea), and I love those rocks!
    xo April | April Everyday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Irresistible Me Diamond Flat Iron Review: Is it worth it?

I started using flat irons since I was 18 years old (well, that was 12 years ago?) and I’m amazed at how the industry of hair straighteners had come. Man, I think we're missing out on some great deal. Flat iron over the years, We all know the humble beginnings of hair comb or some may call them hair thongs which are made of two rods heated to straighten the hair. I never get to use this one as I was introduced to the second generation of hair straighteners and that was using a standard home clothes iron. Nah, I mean the basic flat irons made with metal plates and few heat settings. Not until the early 2000s when I saw this model with ceramic plates that most people use today. Ceramic is by far the most popular material for this product as it is both inexpensive and actually safer compared to the clothing iron or heating rods back in days. Depending on your hair type, ceramic plates are believed to lock in moisture and protect hair color. But with a lot of this model

Weekend Well Spent

Last week was kind of breezy to the point where I thought it was already Friday when I’m only in the middle of my week, which is odd because when I’m excited for something and I’m looking forward to it every single day, it makes my whole month moved into a slow motion and I’m like bored to death. Gladly, my weekend didn’t pass by so sudden that I got to enjoy it with people dearest to my heart to the fullest. I love weekends so much that I decided not to care about laundry or cleaning the house (sort of) but just spend the whole two days enjoying the cold weather which means more sleeps and longer walks to the mall. Last weekend, we ate breakfast in our PJ’s, had brunch in the street food shops, enjoyed salmon and some surprisingly affordable tasty Japanese cuisine, scored some discounts on baby clothes and winter shirts, did some window shopping, had a half dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts for dessert and just cuddled and sang nursery rhymes at the top of our lungs.

How To Instantly Add Luxury To Your Wardrobe

As you have probably guessed, I literally spend a good part of my day shopping online. Yep, when major sales popped out, I'll stop what I'm doing to catch a glimpse on which of those pieces look good on me. To the point, I recently spent a morning scrolling through a dozen items on shopping websites. Making me the perfect target consumer when it comes to social media marketing ads. Ha! Sadly, however, I can’t possibly purchase everything on my wishlist and so every now and then I blog about my current favorites hoping somebody can benefit from the fruits of my labor. While there are specific brands I love to cover on a weekly basis today I like to highlight and celebrate similar brands for cheap yet elegant staples to give you more unique and fashion-forward options. Just keep scrolling to get started shopping and see a couple of elegant dresses to keep your outfit on point. Clothing website, kis.net was founded on the vision ""to be a top-end garment supp